We envision the University of Maryland as a fully equitable community that strengthens agents of social justice and supports vibrant campus communities for people of diverse sexes, gender identities or expressions, and sexual orientations.
The LGBT Equity Center provides the campus with leadership and expertise in building a fully equitable community; strengthens and supports people of diverse sexes, gender identities or expressions, and sexual orientations; and develops visible and vibrant LGBTQ+ campus communities.
Campus Transformation toward a Fully Equitable Community for LGBTQ+ People
- Fully inclusive campus climate that embraces LGBTQ+ people and meets their needs
- Campus policies in support of LGBTQ+ people and procedures that enact those policies within relevant units
- Widespread and diverse dedicated resources in support of LGBTQ+ people
- Competency within each functional area for working effectively with LGBTQ+ people
LGBTQ+ Social Justice Leadership Development
- Staff and faculty campus-wide who lead their peers toward greater LGBTQ+ inclusion
- Effective student leadership to develop and sustain LGBTQ+ communities throughout the campus
LGBTQ+ Student and Community Development
- Sufficient incoming LGBTQ+ students to ensure a critical mass
- Retention, persistence, and graduation rates of LGBTQ+ students on par with or greater than the general student body
- Development of confident identities with a sense of belonging at the University
- Establishment of habits promoting wellness and resiliency
- Visible and vibrant LGBTQ+ communities throughout the campus