Trans Resources & Policies

The University of Maryland is committed to creating and maintaining an educational, working, and living environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. This Policy prohibits discrimination on grounds protected under Federal and Maryland law and Board of Regents policies. University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class.

University of Maryland Non-Discrimination Policy and Procedures  (emphasis added)


The LGBT Equity Center is committed to assisting transgender students, staff, and faculty as they interact with all units of the University of Maryland. While we do not control the policies or procedures of other units, we will assist you as needed.

The following provides some basic information transgender individuals may find helpful. Please contact us regarding any additional information or assistance you may need to access services offered by the University. Our staff is available to meet with you. Please send an email to to arrange an appointment. You may also stop by the Center in 2218 Marie Mount Hall. Likeliest times to find someone with whom you can talk are afternoons Monday through Friday while classes are in session.


Legal change of name

To change your name on all documents at the University of Maryland, you must obtain a Court Order. Students will need to provide a copy to the Office of the Registrar. Once you present the Court Order, all appearances of your name under their control will be changed to the new name. If you are employed on campus, you must present the Court Order to Human Resources. Typically, you will go through the person responsible for payroll and other human resource issues within the department where you work. If you are both a student and an employee, you will need to do both.

How you obtain a Court Order depends on the jurisdiction where you live. In the State of Maryland, you must apply to the Circuit Court of the county (or City of Baltimore) where you reside. The exact procedures vary from one county to another and may change from time to time.

Primary name and legal name

At the University of Maryland, your primary name is the name by which you are generally known. It appears on University identification cards, class rosters, and directories of students and employees. Your legal name appears on government issued identity documents such as a passport. At the University of Maryland, your legal name must appear on official transcripts, financial aid documents, payroll documents, and other places where a legal name is required by law or university policy.

Unless you specify otherwise, your legal name is your default primary name. To specify a primary name that is different from a legal name, the process is different for students and employees.

Students must file a form with the Office of the Registrar. You may download that form here. Please read the instruction sheet and the form carefully. Please be advised your primary name will be used for all communication with the University including any notices sent to your home address such as tuition and other payments due to the University. Also, anyone who has access to information about you online will see your primary name. Your primary name will be used in all instances except on official transcripts, financial aid documents, payroll documents, and other places where a legal name is required by law or university policy. You will need a legal change of name to change the name on your official transcript, financial aid documents, etc. (see above).

Employees may access their personnel files directly to update their primary name. Go to Under "Payroll and Human Resources," select "Display/Update Personal Data." After logging in, you will see your "Payroll Name" which is your legal name. This is the name that will appear on your payroll checks. You will need a legal change of name to change your payroll name (see above). You will also see "Primary Name." You may simply update your primary name in those fields.

Students and employees, please note that the primary name in your personnel file may overwrite the primary name with the Registrar. Therefore, if you are a student and you work or have ever worked for the university and still have a personnel file, you must make the change at and file a primary name change request with the Registrar in order for your primary name to appear on class rosters, etc.

Sex/gender marker

Your sex/gender marker does not appear on ID cards or transcripts, but might be seen by personnel in various databases. If your gender identity does not match the marker in University records, students may use this form to update their student record. Take the completed form to the Office of the Registrar (First Floor, Mitchell Building). Employees may update their gender identity directly by going to Under "Payroll and Human Resources," select "Display/Update Personal Data." Individuals who are both students and employees must update their information in both systems.


Beginning with the fall 2014 semester, Facilities Management has included gender neutral and family restrooms on the campus map. You can access this layer of the map by clicking here. You will see a restroom icon above each building that has at least one general (or gender neutral) or family restroom. When you click on the restroom icon, you will see a box that lists the room numbers for these restrooms.

You may also find the layer of the map by going to, click on "Layers" then click on "Campus Services" then click on "LGBT Resources. You may select "Gender Inclusive Restrooms" and/or "Family Restrooms." Both provide greater privacy than "men's" and "women's" restrooms.

Please note that this map reflects how rooms are designated in the campus facilities database. From time to time, there may be a discrepancy. If you find that there is an error, please click on the "Feedback / Comments" link on the top right of the map and let facilities management know about the problem. Together, we can keep this vital information up to date and useful for everyone.

Campus policy for all new buildings and major renovations now call for the inclusion of single-use general restrooms. For existing structures, Facilities Management will consider converting gendered single-use restrooms into general use restrooms when requested. In certain circumstances, multiple-user gendered restrooms may be converted into multiple-user gender inclusive restrooms.


Room assignments in Resident Life

A statement about Resident Life's policy regarding the needs of LGBTQ students may be found at Iverson is their liaison to LGBTQ students. You may contact her directly with any special needs or concerns. Please go to their website for further information.

Mixed gender and gender inclusive housing

The University of Maryland offers sex segregated, mixed gender, and gender inclusive housing. Mixed gender housing in a traditional hall means students live in a residence hall room with someone of the same sex or gender, but the room may be next to another room that is occupied by students of a different sex or gender. On traditional hall floors, community bathrooms are designated as male or female. In gender inclusive housing in the traditional residence halls, students share the same bedroom (and a private bathroom) in a traditional residence hall room, regardless of sex, gender, or gender identity. Gender inclusive housing allows students of different sexes or genders to live together within the same residence hall room.

The University of Maryland also offers mixed gender and gender inclusive housing in semi-suites, suites, and apartments.

For a fuller description and contact information regarding campus housing, please visit

Off-campus housing

The Office of Off-Campus Housing Services recognizes that LGBTQ students may have concerns when seeking housing. You may find various tools on their web site that can assist you in finding appropriate off-campus housing. See The Coordinator for Off-Campus Housing Services, Ms. Jennifer Lindstrom, is also available to speak with students regarding any specific needs or concerns.

Campus Recreation Services

Transgender individuals are invited to use the Family Locker Rooms at the Eppley Campus Recreation Center on campus. Campus Recreation Services train their staff to provide a welcoming environment for all patrons including transgender individuals. Should you need assistance locating a Family Locker Room or have any concerns about locker rooms, please see any member of staff in the Eppley Recreation Center. You may also contact Dr. Wallace Eddy, Associate Director of Campus Recreation Services, with any concerns.

Sometime in the Fall of 2016, Gender Inclusive Locker Rooms will be available in both the Eppley Campus Recreation Center and Ritchie Coliseum. Watch this space for updated information.

Intramural sports

Campus Recreation Services has established a gender identity policy for eligibility to participate in Intramural Sports. See and scroll down to "Leagues and Level" item 7. Gender Identity: "Individuals may participate in Intramural Sports in accordance with their own gender identity regardless of medical intervention. For 'co-ed' sports, individuals who do not identity as women, will be subject to the rules of non-women participants."

Health care

Medical health care

The University Health Center maintains a web page about LGBT health. (See In particular, note the section titled Especially for trans and genderqueer folks. You can also find information on initiating hormone therapy at the University of Maryland Health Center at

To help answer questions you may have about your particular situation, please contact the University Health Center LGBT Liaison, Jenna Beckwith (301-314-8130), or the University Health Center Faculty and Staff LGBT Liaison, Joan Bellsey (301-314-8099).

Mental health care

Both the Counseling Center and the University Health Center provide mental health care. The Counseling Center offers the Rainbow Walk-In Hour for students, staff, and faculty who are LGBT or from an LGBT headed family. See For Mental Health Service at the University Health Center, see Both are very LGBT-friendly and have out LGBT people on staff.

Student health insurance

Many gender confirmation procedures and/or treatments are now covered under the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) negotiated by the University of Maryland Health Center. See Insurance at Individuals should contact the University Health Center directly for any questions about precisely what SHIP may cover.

Employee health insurance

Health Insurance available to all State Employees covers some transition-related care. The plans offered by the State are lengthy and complicated. For greater clarity about precisely which procedures are covered, employees should carefully examine each plan and question their representatives. See

Speech therapy

Some transgender individuals may be interested in voice feminization or other therapies regarding their voice. Students have reported a welcoming environment and success in voice feminization therapy at the Hearing and Speech Clinic available here on campus. See Also note

Safety, harassment, and discrimination

The Department of Public Safety, University Police, have the responsibility to respond to any and all hate crimes and bias incidents. For any emergency, call

  • 911 from a campus phone
  • 301-405-3333 from any off-campus phone
  • 301-314-7900 from TTY/TDD
  • #3333 from any Verizon Wireless, ATT, Sprint/Nextel or T-Mobile cell phone

For non-emergency service, call 301-405-3555.

University Police post crime statistics and list other services on their web site.

To discuss issues of discrimination or harassment, and, should you decide to follow through, to file a complaint, contact

Office of Civil Rights & Sexual Misconduct 
University of Maryland 
4113 Susquehanna Hall 
4200 Lehigh Rd 
College Park, MD 20742 
Phone: 301-405-1142 / Fax: 301-405-2837

You may also contact your Ombudsperson, any other member of the Conflict Resolvers Network, or the University Equity Administrator for your Division or Unit.


Finding community may be the most valuable resource an individual discovers. Our students have formed Trans U, a discussion group within the Pride Alliance. You may find their Facebook group at