As a leader and pioneer, Luke Jensen is responsible for the basic infrastructure that supports LGBTQ+ people and issues at the University of Maryland. This includes the formation of the President’s Commission on LGBT Issues for which he was the inaugural chair, appointment as the Founding Director of the LGBT Equity Center, creation of the LGBT Equity Scholarship Fund, and lead author establishing the Program in LGBT Studies. Jensen has also worked collaboratively with numerous units on campus leading to the recognition of the University by Campus Pride as among the Best of Best for LGBTQ Students. Additionally, his proposals and work with the campus have led to the revision or establishment of several policies including those related to non-discrimination of the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity and expression, policies on personal information in University data bases, use of gendered facilities, and inclusive language.
Jensen’s accomplishments and expertise in LGBTQ+ programs and services are recognized nationally as are his general competencies with assessment. Representing the Consortium of Higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals, Jensen served for over a decade on the Board of Directors for the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS). He chaired committees revising CAS Standards and Guidelines for Orientation Programs, Counseling Services, and Housing and Residential Life Programs. He also served as the expert member of the committee revising Standards and Guidelines for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Programs and Services. More recently, he has been tasked by the Consortium, along with five other senior professionals, to develop Core Competencies for LGBTQIA+ Directors and Professionals in Higher Education.
Within the Office of Diversity & Inclusion (ODI), Jensen has served in multiple capacities. From 2015 to 2017, he led and administered the Moving Maryland Forward Grant Program providing support for a wide variety of diversity initiatives across the campus. In 2016 and 2017, he served on ODI’s Thriving Workplace Inclusion Team. And from August 2017 through August 2018, Jensen served as Special Assistant to the Chief Diversity Officer (CDO). During that appointment, he led the Transition Team for the new CDO, assisted in the reorganization of existing resources into more coherent structures, reconceptualized and rewrote job descriptions, hired and supervised a temporary Training and Education Specialist, and led the searches for the Business Manager and the Hate-Bias Response Program Manager. He also prepared documentation for an external review of equity, diversity, and inclusion at the University of Maryland. This included a Report on Diversity Assets at UMD which looked comprehensively at the whole campus. With Roger Worthington, he authored a Self-Study Report: Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion at the University of Maryland.
Recent Presentations, Reports, Papers, etc.
- February 20, 2019: “Standards of Practice – Core Competencies for LGBTQIA+ Directors & Professionals in Higher Education.” Webinar for members of the Consortium of Higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals. With Debbie Bazarsky, Brian Edwards, Sivagami Subbaraman, Bonnie Sugiyama, and Shaun Travers.
- December 10, 2018: “Best Practices – Learning from Other Graduate Schools and Universities.” Panel discussion with Sondra Tennessee, Sarah Clever, Abigail Francis, and Melissa C. Thomas-Hunt. The LSAC (Law School Admission Council) Equality Conference: Building, Maintaining, and Promoting LGBTQ-Inclusive Law Schools, Orlando, FL.
- June 22, 2018: “You Gotta Give Them Hope: LGBTQ+ Advocacy on Campus.” Keynote address at LGBTQ+ Summer Conference on Community Inclusivity. Cecil College, North East, MD.
- May 2018: “Draft Implementation Strategy for the Recommendations of the Joint Task Force – Office of Diversity & Inclusion (ODI).” With Roger Worthington. Prepared as phase 1 for implementing the recommendations of the President and Senate Joint Task Force on Inclusion and Respect at the University of Maryland. Especially see pages 24-36.
- April 2018: “Report on Diversity Assets at UMD.” Prepared in advance and for the use of an external review of equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts at the University of Maryland.
- April 2018: “Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion at the University of Maryland – Self-Study Report.” With Roger Worthingon. Prepared in advance and for the use of an external review of equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts at the University of Maryland.
- January 25, 2018: “Talking at the Tensions: Pathways of Change and Transformation for LGBTQ+ Work in Higher Education.” Panel discussion with Cameron Breither, Debra Bazarsky, Chris Woods, Chicora Martin, Leslie Morrow, Van Baily. LGBT Campus Administrators Academy Session of Creating Change, Annual Conference of the National LGBTQ Task Force. Washington, DC.
- June 2, 2017: “LGBTQ+ People in Higher Education: Policies and Data.” Maryland Chapter of the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR). The Universities at Shady Grove, MD.
- January 21, 2017: “Queer and Transgender People of Color Pipeline.” Panel discussion with Shiva Subbaraman, Zaneta Rago-Craf, Allan Forbes, Van Bailey, Adriana di Bartolo, Shaun Travers, Jenny Kurtz. LGBT Campus Administrators Academy Session of Creating Change, Annual Conference of the National LGBTQ Task Force. Philadelphia, PA.
- June 4, 2015: "Support for LGBTQ Students on College Campuses Today: the University of Maryland, College Park." Bending Toward Justice: Continuing the March Toward LGBT Equality - LGBT Commemorative Program. Federal Bureau of Prisons Central Office, Department of Justice. Washington, DC.
- January 23, 2015: "Unleashing Innovation Through Diversity and Inclusion: A Fearless Idea." With James Christopher McShay, Rhea Roper-Nedd, Julie J. Park, and Noah Matthew Collins. Diversity and Inclusion Program of The Office of Undergraduate Studies, University of Maryland, College Park.
- June 30, 2014: "Best Practices for Supporting Trans* Students in Campus Housing." With Dennis Passarella-George, Sara Bendoraitis, and Chris Moody. 2014 ACUHO-I Annual Conference and Exposition.
- June 20, 2014: "Best Practices for Trans Inclusion in Higher Ed." With Nicholas Sakurai. Session 1 at "Pride and Allies." Multi-institutional conference hosted by Montgomery Community College.
- June 22, 2012: "LGBTQ Advocacy On Our Campuses: postcards from the trenches." Keynote speech at "LGBTA Advocacy On Our Campuses: how do you do it?" Multi-institutional conference hosted by Montgomery Community College.
- November 14, 2011: "Creating Inclusive Classrooms for LGBTQ Students: a faculty development seminar." University of Maryland Baltimore County. Presentation invited by the Vice President for Student Affairs.
- March 4, 2011: with Judie Wexler, "Measuring LGBTQ Student Success and the Role of Assessment in Academic and Student Affairs." Expanding the Circle: creating and inclusive environment in higher education for LGBTQ students and studies. Conference sponsored by the California Institute of Integral Studies. San Francisco, CA.
- February 3, 2011: "CAS Standards and Guidelines for LGBT Programs and Services: the recently approved updated version." Annual Meeting of the Consortium of Higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals concurrent with the Annual Meeting of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force: Creating Change. Minneapolis, MN.
- September 23, 2010: "LGBT Programs & Services: Meeting CAS Standards for the LGBTQIA Community in Challenging Economic Times." Diversity Summit. Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. Kutztown University, Kutztown, PA.
- February 17, 2010: "Addressing the Needs of LGBTQ Students." Preparing Future Faculty Conference, Howard University, Washington, DC.
- October 26, 2009: "Hate Crimes: Moving from discrimination to tolerance." Panel discussion with Allison Bennett, Brian Levin, Steven Selden, and Ronald Zeigler. Provost's Conversations on Diversity, Democracy, and Higher Education. University of Maryland, College Park.
- August 6, 2008: "Understanding our students: Supporting LGBT identities." Staff Development Institute, Bowie State University.
- June 5, 2008: "Transgender Employees: Support and inclusion of transgender people at work." Diversity Leadership Council, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.
- March 4, 2008: "Office of LGBT Equity: LGBT work on college campuses today." Preparing Future Faculty Conference, Howard University, Washington, DC.
- February 7, 2008: "Using CAS Standards (Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education)." Annual Meeting of the Consortium of Higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals, Detroit, MI.
- Award for Distinguished Achievement in the Profession. Presented by the Consortium of Higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals at the Creating Change Conference of the National LGBTQ Task Force, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on January 19, 2017.
- The Freedom and Liberation Medal. Presented by The President's Commission on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues, University of Maryland, College Park, on May 21, 2014.
- The President's Distinguished Service Award, University of Maryland, College Park. Presented at the Faculty and Staff Convocation on October 9, 2012.
- Champion of Our Community. Presented by the Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Staff and Faculty Association of the University of Maryland, College Park, on May 19, 1998.
- Chair Emeritus. Presented by the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Alliance, an undergraduate student organization at the University of Maryland, College Park, on May 14, 1997.
Luke Jensen, Ph.D.
Director, LGBT Equity Center
2218 Marie Mount Hall
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
tel: 301 405-1563